What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit a website. The cookie serves to remember your visit to that page. The cookies have been used for twenty years, when the first web browsers appeared.
A cookie is neither a virus, nor a Trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor does it open windows at your own risk. In general, a cookie poses no danger to you as a user or to the equipment you use to browse the Internet.
What information does a cookie store?
cookies do not usually store sensitive information, such as credit card or bank details, photographs, ID number, personal information, etc. The data they store is of a technical nature, personal preferences, content personalization, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, but your web browser. In fact, if you usually browse with, say, Internet Explorer and try to visit the same website with another browser, such as Firefox or Chrome, you will find that the web does not realize that you are the same person.
What types of cookies are there?
- Technical cookies: These are the most basic. They allow us to know when a human being or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous user or a registered user is browsing. These data are basic for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Analysis cookies: They collect information about the type of navigation, the most used sections, products consulted, time of use, language, etc.
- Advertising cookies: They display advertising depending on the user's browsing activity, country of origin, language, etc.
What are own and third-party cookies?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting. On the other hand, third-party cookies come from external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
Can cookies be deleted?
Yes. Not only can you delete them, you can also block them, generally or in particular for a specific domain. Depending on the cookies you remove, it may happen that the functionality of a website is limited or even that it is not technically possible for it to offer its services to you.
To remove cookies from a website you must go to the settings section of your browser. There you will find the ones associated with the domain in question and you can delete them.
Configuration of cookies for the most popular browsers
Here's how to access a particular cookie within the Chrome browser. The steps may vary depending on the version of the browser you have installed:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking on the customization icon that appears on the top right.
- You will find different sections. Click on Show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy , Content settings.
- Select All cookies and site data .
- A list will appear with all cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier for you to find those of a certain domain, enter the address partially or totally in the Search for cookies field.
- The cookies of the website in question will then appear on the screen. Just select them and press X to remove them.
To access the cookies settings of Internet Explorer follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy.
To access the cookies settings of Firefox follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- Under History choose Use custom settings for history.
- You will see the option Accept cookies. You can activate or deactivate it as you wish.
To access the cookies settings of Safari for OSX follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Preferences and then Privacy.
- There you will find the option Block cookies.
To access the cookies settings of Safari for iOS follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- First go to Settings and then to Safari.
- Go to Privacy and Security. You will see the option Block cookies.
To access the cookies configuration of the browser for Android devices, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version):
- Open the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy. You will see the option Accept cookies, which allows you to activate or deactivate the box.